So there i was, having one of those days. Small frustration after small frustration was pilling up. It was still 110 out and i just missed the bus to dinner. I decided to walk. Hungry, tired from a long day, and deep in thought i was caught passing by a high ranking officer and not saluting. They actually called "hey you! You! " i turned around. He continued "don't you know you just walked by a lutenant Colonel?” and turned, silently I saluted and continued walking.
I finally made it to the DFAC right at 2000 hrs. As soon as I get there the guards tell me that it’s closed! I about passed out. After talking with the guard for a minute someone else came out and let me in.
I walked in, still brooding over my awesome day. During my meal my thoughts caught fire with all the things I despise about that army.
Finally calmed down, and finished eating, I boarded a bus heading towards my CHU. At the next stop a younger enlisted soldier sat in the seat next to me. He started tell me about how his wife was pregnant and had, in fact, given birth just recently. “When?” I asked. “today” he replied “I watched the whole thing over the internet and webcam”. I was astounded!
Soon after, the night didn’t seem so hot, and missing home didn’t seem so urgent. Some people give so much in coming here to serve. I guess the patriot in me is glad to be here to help those people out.
Saturday, August 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
we miss and love you!!the calls
don't worry, dude. your sacrifice is appreciated also.
We are sure proud of you, with all our love, Mom & Dad
Wow, Tim... this was a tear jerker for me. I watched something the other day about the wives that send off their husbands and what they go through having babies on their own and being Mom and Dad and then the Dad over in Iraq and not being able to be there and how hard that is.... What a sacrifice! You are sacrificing too! We can never forget the sacrifices made for us so that we can have freedoms like starting up a new practice and our religion. Keep it up. What you are doing is amazing!
Post a Comment