Thursday, October 1, 2009

Ok so I’m not usually one for treads but I broke down. That’s right. Biathlons, triathlons, 1k,5k,10k, half marathons, marathons, are completely trendy. But hey, how can I knock something that promotes good health? I never thought I’d be writing this post…..I just ran a half marathon. Don’t worry it was a completely horrible experience, one that I have vowed twice over never to repeat. You may ask, why would I run for 2 hour and 10 minutes without stopping once?

Before this event, the longest run that I can remember ever doing was about 5 miles. Worse yet, since I’ve been deployed I haven’t run more than1/2 a mile consecutively, for fear of dust inhalation (see the post below entitle dustmares). Yes, i didn’t train for this marathon, AT ALL – which explain the expression of pain on my face in the picture below. My assistant (who loves to run for prizes), reminded me that 4pm is the close of the registration for the run – and they are giving out metals! Ok, so I fell for it.

Miles 11-12 were the worst. I wanted to cry. My legs were giving out. I was afraid to run from the street to the sidewalk. The step up to the sidewalk (standard height) seemed so high! I wasn’t sure my leg could move up that far. At this point my fun had turned into a shuffle. “Just don’t stop!” I kept telling myself.

At the start of the race my goal was to finish, even I if they had to drive me across the finish line. However, at about mile 5, I was feeling great. I’m not sure if it was the endorphins or the dust in the air, but I had a thought “why not run the whole race without stopping?” So, I did.

It’s nice to know I still have that never-say-die attitude.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! congrats!! i thought my 10K was an accomplishment but this is awesome~ you do look a little tired , but not too much pain ...i hope!! good luck in recovery!! love you bro.

Available July 10, 2017 - 75 S Reynolds St, Alexandria, VA 22304 said...

Tim Adams you are my hero...you would be more if you shaved that mustache.

T*town said...

Don't bash the 'stache - the dirty lip is back! haha